Work from home can be really mundane at times. As much as you like the comfort of working from your home workstation, you also detest the sense of loneliness that comes with it. You cannot decide whether you love working from home or you dislike it! One day, you like it and the very next day, it is the most monotonous routine ever.
Your virtual workplace seems even more uneventful when a special day or a festival is around the corner. Remember the time when you used to dress up, conduct fun activities, and go out for a lavish meal on every occasion? You sure miss your colleagues a little more on the special days, don’t you?
Now that Christmas is just a few days away, all you can think about is – can you still partake in some activities that can bring you closer to your colleagues? Well, don’t worry! There is still so much you can do. For starters, there are so many fun and challenging games available online that you can still play together, for example, you can download a poker app and play as if you are physically together, or you can even hang out on a conference call and indulge in some casual conversation. So, do not be disheartened! You can still stay connected and celebrate different occasions with your co-workers or work buddies. The idea is to just plan it out and implement it in an efficient manner.
Let us discuss a few ways you can celebrate Christmas virtually with your co-workers.
- Plan a virtual Christmas party– You can be together even without being physically close to each other, all thanks to technology! You can plan or ask your manager to plan a virtual Christmas party where everyone can even bring a ‘plus one’ with them. Cook something, share your recipes on the call, click group pictures, sing Christmas carols and songs together, dance to catchy music, organize fun competitions online, etc. Make sure you and your team put your heart and soul to make this virtual party even better than the ‘normal’ one.
- Add some thrill to your special day– What if we tell you that now you can play together and experience the thrill of your life? All of this is true – if you know how to play poker. Now you can easily play together from the comfort of your home by signing up on various websites. You can even play some other game that will give you an adrenaline rush and will help you stay in touch with your work buddies.
- Plan a Secret Santa exchange activity – Even though you cannot meet your co-workers this Christmas, you can still partake in Secret Santa together. You can even ask your employer or team lead to conduct it. Pair people up and ask them to send thoughtful gifts to each other. This will boost everyone’s sense of belongingness to the organization and to each other and of course, will make their Christmas merrier.
- Decide on a dress code – Do not just have a party, rather have a grand themed party with a strict dress code. For example, since it is Christmas, the dress code can be red-colored clothes, etc. People will dress up for the party and that will only add to more excitement. Dancing and singing on a video call, wearing similar dresses, clicking pictures, playing poker online or some other interesting game, talking to each other for hours, etc. – Isn’t it like a dream party?
- Decorate your home workstations – Christmas is all about decorations, costumes, lights, and magic – why not showcase your creative side on your workstation as well? Encourage all the team members to decorate their workstations and click pictures of them and share them with everyone in the office. You can even come up with a competition where the person with the best-decorated workstation will win a prize. Come on, start decorating your workstation and surprise yourself with your own creativity!
- Host a talent hunt – Organize a talent hunt for every team member and witness all your co-workers unleash their passion and talent. They can dance, sing, do some comedy, or indulge in any other activity of their choice. You have seen your co-workers in a ‘serious’ light, now get ready to see their new, colorful, and talented side. The most talented person will also win some exciting reward. Isn’t it simply awesome?
- Encourage your team to stay in regular touch– You cannot stay in touch if you only plan to virtually meet every festival. You must decide to meet otherwise as well. Keep checking up on each other. On this special day, talk your hearts out, remind each other that you are each other’s family, and take a pledge to stay in constant touch. Some days when you do not feel like talking, you can just leave an informal text to check on each other or even play online games together. Do you know what is the best part? By playing games, you can even win real money online. This way, you can stay in touch and earn while having fun. Win-win situation, right?
In this new normal, even celebrations are taking place differently. Nowadays, most people are working from home and consequently, there is less social interaction among the employees. This can often lead to loneliness, especially during the festival time because celebrations and festivals are about being together. However, now that times have changed and we do not have the option to celebrate Christmas with our co-workers like we used to before, we can always find ways to celebrate virtually. This article has some super amazing tips to make your virtual Christmas celebration as fun as possible. This Christmas, make the most of your virtual celebrations, express your gratitude for little joys in life, and enjoy with your co-workers in a different but fun style. Merry Christmas!