Are you a poker player? Ever thought of what’s responsible gaming is? No idea! In layman language, responsible gaming means playing a disciplined game till the point it does not affect your body and mind. Every game has a break-even point. So, playing a game as per the poker rules laid, and understanding when to stop playing a game is called responsible gaming.
Lets study the concept of responsible gaming. Poker is a skill based game that can be mastered with proper study and constant practice. Some people play poker as hobby and some people play it professionally. But there are few players who are addicted to poker and don’t understand when is the right time to take a break thereby resulting in compulsive behavior. On the contrary, a player who understands when to play and when to take a break and follow game rules is the one who follows responsible gaming.
As a player, you have a responsibility to not only yourself but to other players as well to keep the game of poker as healthy as possible. Poker in India is still at the nascent stage and we need to work hard to remove the negatives associated with this game. You hold a responsibility to follow a disciplined behavior irrespective of the cards dealt, game play and winning opportunities available. Being responsible in game means knowing when to play, and how much money or time to spend at the tables. Following are some guidelines that you should follow as a responsible gamer to ensure safe playing experience:
- You should play poker with money that you can afford to lose.
- You should decide in advance how much money you will spend playing the game and that money should not be a part of your previous poker reserve.
- You should complete all your personal and other important tasks before sitting to play poker so that you can play the game with a free mind.
- You should also decide on the number of hours you will be devoting to the game.
- You should keep track of your performance level so that you can be mindful enough to realize when to stop playing the game.
- You should play the game as per your competence level, and should not deliberately switch to higher tables after few back to back winnings.
- You should always set deposit limits while playing poker so that you never deposit more than you can afford to lose.
- You should not play poker by taking loans.
- You should not get into a game if you have other planned tasks on hand.
- You should not play poker in a bad, sad or mad mood. This affects your game performance ultimately leading you in loosing money.
- You should not bet all your money in a single game.
- You should take a break and pause playing for a while if you have lost money continuously 3-4 times.
- You should not play poker with money that you need for things that are essential namely rent or bills or even food.
- You should not chase losses. Even if you have continuous looses, don’t try to recoup them at tables with higher stakes.