Online poker undoubtedly is one of the most fascinating card games in India in recent times. The craze of the game has increased many folds due to the big prize money and recognition that the players are receiving both at national as well as international level. The excitement with this game is too high and many players just jump into the arena without basic knowledge and understanding of the game. With the right preparation and a robust winning strategy, one can definitely win big. Here are a few basic understandings of the game that will help you to learn how to play poker and win big prizes online.
Basic poker rules about how a Texas Hold’em poker game is played online –
- The objective of the game is to create the best hand (5-card combination) using the in-hand cards and community cards.
- The dealer deals the players at the online poker table with two cards. The dealer deals the cards starting with the player on his left and ends with herself/himself.
- The player who is dealt with the first card, is the one who initiates the betting action.
- Any player, on his turn to act, can place a call, fold, or raise. In the game of poker, a call is matching the amount raised into the pot. Fold is giving up one’s hand as well as all the chips in the pot. Raise refers to putting more chips into the pot.
- The process continues until every player has called in or all the chips are in the middle.
- After the betting round, the dealer deals with three cards on the board face-up, known as the community cards. These cards can be used by anyone. This is known as flop.
- Betting again continues, where every player consequently bets, calls, raises, or folds.
- Afterwards ‘turn’ comes, where the dealer serves a fourth card that can be used by any player.
- Another round of betting, checking, raising, and folding continues and then the dealer places a fifth card. This is known as river. This card can be used by any of the players.
- Then the final round of betting, checking, raising and folding continues.
- If there is more than one player left in the game, the cards are then exposed and the holder of the highest ranked hand (as per the hand ranking rules) is declared the winner.
With these basic understanding about how to play poker card game, you are good to start playing. However, for winning big money playing online poker, you need to gain experience and build a solid strategy.
- Avoid playing too many hands
Start playing with only a few good hands. As a thumb rule, at a standard nine-handed poker table, play only 18% – 20% of the hands. More importantly, you should be able to identify what are good hands.
- Do not call a lot
Calling often gives the impression that the player is a beginner. This is because; new players are generally not very sure about their hands and even what they have is a good hand at all. Hence, they call too often. However, a professional takes no time in identifying such players.
- Losing is part of the game
Losing is part of the game hence do not get embarrassed. At a certain point in time, it is obvious that you will lose. Do not get low or start feeling humiliated and embarrassed; else, you will not grow as a matured player.