Poker is an extremely simple game to learn and play. It is played with a standard deck of 52 cards between 6 to 9 players
Before you start playing, it is important to learn the basic rules of poker.
Here are some of the most popular Poker terms you need to know about before joining the game tables –
Poker Hand Ranking
To win, the player needs to either have the best five-card hand (using the hole cards and community cards according to the hand ranking rules) or make every other opponent fold their cards before the last betting round. Every Poker variant (Texas Hold’em, Omaha, Crazy Pineapple) has a set of rules which determines the combination in which the hole cards and community cards should be used.
Here is the list of Poker hand ranking from highest to lowest
- Royal Flush - The highest-ranking 5 cards of the same suit in a sequence (A, K, Q, J, 10)
- Straight Flush - 5 cards of the same suit in a sequence.
- Four of a Kind - 4 cards of the same rank and 1 random card.
- Full House - 3 cards of the same rank and 2 cards of another similar rank.
- Flush - All 5 cards of the same suit that are not in sequence.
- Straight - All 5 cards in a sequence that are not of the same suit.
- Three of a Kind - 3 cards of the same rank and 2 random cards.
- Two Pair - Two different pairs of cards and 1 random card.
- One Pair - 2 cards of the same rank and 3 random cards.
- High Card - A hand that doesn’t comes under any of the above-mentioned categories.
You can download Poker rules in PDF format from the website easily for reference while playing the game online.
Pot is the total amount of money that all players sitting on the table invest in the series of betting rounds during a hand. The pot can be won in two situations -
- If all but one player fold their cards during the betting rounds. The last remaining player gets the pot.
- After the betting rounds, all remaining players reveal their hands on the table. The player with the best 5-card combination wins the pot.
Before the card distribution, every player puts money in the pot. The dealer button determines which two players need to post the blinds.
To start the betting, before the card dealing, players put forced bets, which are called Blinds. As a player makes this bet without seeing his cards (blind), it is called by this name. The player directly to the immediate left of the dealer button posts the small blind and the player left to him posts the big blind (which is usually 2 times the small blind).
The minimum bet in a betting round is equivalent to the big blind. Because of that, the blind size always dictates the stakes of the game.
In certain formats of the poker game, players have to put in 'Ante' in addition to the blinds.
Every player contributes an equal amount of money to the pot before the card dealing. The bet amount is predetermined and is collected from all the players at the table before the beginning of a hand.
The player with the ‘button’ becomes the card dealer. He deals the cards to every player starting from his left and ends with himself. He is the last player to act in all post-flop rounds. The ‘dealer’ button moves 1 position clockwise after every game. Only occupied seats are considered while moving the dealer button. The player at the small blind position (the first active player clockwise from the dealer) in a hand becomes the dealer in the next hand.
Texas Hold’em is the most popular variant of poker games. To win, the player needs to create the best five-card hand, out of the two hole cards and five community cards dealt during the game.
Click here to know more about Texas Hold’em betting rules.
In the beginning, the dealer distributes two cards to each player face down which is followed by the first betting round (Pre-Flop). Five community cards are dealt face up in a series of three betting rounds namely the Flop, the Turn, & the River. The players have the option to check, bet, raise, or fold at their turn to act in each round. As per the strength of his in-hand cards, a player makes his move. After the last betting round, the active participants reveal their cards (Showdown). The player with the best hand wins the pot.
On the Adda52 Poker Wiki page, you can get more about terminology, phrases, and slangs associated with the game.
- Learn Poker
- Poker Tips and Strategy
- Types of Poker
- Card Games
- Money Games