The game of Rummy is quite well known, easy to learn and can be played for fun anytime and anywhere. But if one wants to play the game competently, it requires a great deal of talent and expertise. To gain proficiency in the game of Rummy, one needs to invest a lot of time and effort, be attentive and learn through not only your own mistakes but through other mistakes as well.
Even though talent and skillfulness plays a major part, one should not forget that Rummy is a card game and all card games have an element of chance in them. Shuffling the cards at the beginning of the game ensures arbitrary placement of cards. This exercise makes it difficult for players to guess what cards will open at any given point of time, and so there is always ‘luck’ or ‘chance’ of receiving a good or a bad card.
Therefore, the key to excel in Rummy is by carefully following all the cards of the game and having a broad idea of
- which cards have been picked up by various players
- which cards have been discarded by various players
- the cards discarded by us, and
- the cards that are undisclosed (which could be either part of the deck or being held by other players)
To become an expert at the game of Rummy, one needs to have great memory and significant ability and talent.
There are two ways to ensure that you have an upper hand in the game of Rummy:
- The first and most important is to ascertain the types of sequences and sets being put together by the other players. This knowledge will guide you while discarding cards so that you don’t accidentally aid them.
- The second step is to trick your opponents so that they find it difficult to ascertain the cards that you have in your hand.