You come across a few situations when playing poker online is that you are playing against the opponents with the best hands to beat them, but unfortunately, the first player to act on the table is you. This is one of the disadvantages of the game. You want to make the most out of this situation where you are confident about your hand but are not aware of the strategy to go about it. You would either bet to check the opponent’s call or you would check and raise to get the amount raised that is being put into the pot. This is one case, but what if this has to be played for the long run? Or how to play cards in situations like bluffing or semi-bluffing? Let us understand through this article.
- The 4 Decision Pairs:
When you are the first to act or it checks to you on the flop, then you have 4 possible decision pairs to make:
- Bet / continue – You can bet and then continue if you get raised and you are going to be doing that with your premium-made hands. You are betting and you are putting money in the pot and then you are just continuing to get raised. So, if you have a very strong hand like a set, three of a kind, or a straight, you are betting that hand and trying to get money in the pot. If the opponent raises, you should not fold.
- Bet / continue or Fold – The second is bet and then continue or bet and then fold with the draws. So you are betting and then decide what to do based on the strength of your draw because draws come in various strengths. Such as straight draws with a flush draw with two hole cards which have a lot of outs. All the way down to like an overcard and a backdoor, flush draw which has basically no house or relatively few outs. So, if you have a premium draw you are betting it and you are not folding. If you have a weak draw, you are betting it and you are folding it if you get raised. So that’s what we are betting with for the most part.
- Check / Call – The next we have our checking range, we are checking and then calling if our opponent bets with our marginal made hands. So we are checking and then calling.
- Check / Fold – This is going to be something like if we have a marginal pair like a middle pair then we are going to check if our opponent bets. We are going to call and then we are checking and then folding with our absolute junk.
The four-hand types generally inform which decisions to make in the poker card games. These four hand types are a method to roughly categorize your specific hands you can have in your range into various levels of strength to inform you that you should be betting them or checking them.
- Four types of hands – Definition.
Hand Types: A method to roughly categorize hands into various levels of “strength” to inform betting.
- Premium Made Hands – These are the strong top pairs and better-made hands to play. We have premium-made hands that we are betting and then continuing with. This is usually going to be something like a strong top pair or better-made hands. Let’s take an example of what a good hand is on Queen, Nine, Seven two hearts. Well, logically a hand-like top pair with a good kicker or two pair or an overpair or three of a kind. Those are going to be your premium hands that you are trying to bet and then not fold because they are so good. For example, Ac-Ks hole cards on the flop.
- Draws – From Flush Draws to Straight Draws and backdoor draws, this category is going to fluctuate a lot depending on your range composition and the board’s texture. Like on this board Queen, nine, seven, there’s clearly a lot of draws available but on a board like an ace, seven, three, the only draw available are weak gut shots straight draws. These types of hands depending on the board texture and your range composition. For example, Qs-9s hole cards on the flop.
- Marginal Made Hands – The weak top pairs to the Ace-High. For example, 10d-10c and Jd-9d hole cards on the flop.
- Junk – The unpaired hands that plan to fold to a bet. For example, 9h-8h hole cards on the flop.
How to construct these four types of hands?
The hand types are relative and highly dependent upon flop textures. Hence, the definition of Draw could be very different depending on the board texture.
- Betting Range – Premium(Value) / Draw(Bluff) Ratio = 1:2.
- Checking Range – Marginal /Junk Ratio = 70:30.
- Out-of-position your premium hands generally get weaker. Then bet with a tighter, more polarized range and check with more strong hands.
Use a Range analyzer to determine the categorization of your hand. It is advisable to check-raise in situations where you are bluffing or semi-bluffing instead of making the pot value. The actual meaning of check-raising is to show up your hand strength, in contrast to your opponent to put more values in the pot.
As you can clearly understand from this article, the more you should be using while playing is the check-raise method as it is going to be a beneficial option for you. The check-raise method can be advantageous from time to time depending upon your hand range. Being able to bet and in the position is the best way to play your A-game on Adda52. You can play other card games also. You can play rummy online on this platform. So, register now and make money.