Card games have been a source of entertainment for a long haul. With the passage of time, poker has gained mass popularity and made space for itself amongst the most commonly played money earning games in India as well as globally.
If you too are in line with the current wave of the online gaming trend, which is projected to become more popular over time, and wish to learn poker, read ahead to understand the basic fundamentals of this game.
Adda52 – India’s leading poker app, has curated a play by play guide to help beginners build a strong understanding of the poker basics. It is also aimed at providing avid players a refresher for their core knowledge of the game.
Owing to its popularity, Poker is now played socially as well as professionally by a large part of the population. Poker is known to have many variants but Texas Hold’em is by far the most commonly played variant. While learning to play the game is fairly easy as it has only a few rules and regulations, mastering the game requires honing the game skills by playing regularly and practising more.
So let’s read ahead to grasp a fair knowledge of the basics of the game of poker and take the first step towards a fascinating escapade.
Fundamentals of Poker
It is very important to learn the know-how of the game by grasping on poker rules and implementing it on each poker hand you play.
- The game of poker is played with a standard deck of 52 cards ranked from low to high as Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen, King, Ace (Ace can be regarded as both low with value of 1 or the highest card in the deck).
- Each card deck has four suits namely clubs, diamonds, hearts and spades. All suits hold equal value i.e. no suit is higher than the other.
- The intent of the game is to form the best possible five-card combination in accordance with the poker hands ranking. The player having the highest combination from the lot wins the hand.
Poker hand Rankings (From Lowest to Highest Order)
- High Card (One High Value Card without any other combination for example- 3, 5, 4, A, J)
- One Pair (Any two cards having the same value. For example-1-1-5-7-A)
- Two-pair (A pair of two cards having the same value, such as 8-8-2-2-Q)
- Three of a kind (Three cards having the same value such as 7-7-7-A-K)
- Straight (Cards having different suits but falling in a sequence. For example- 4-5-6-7-8)
- Flush (All cards of varying values but having the same suit such as 5, 9, A, J, 3 of Hearts)
- Full House (Three cards having the same value along with a pair of two cards having the same value. Both can be of varying suits For Example- 5-5-5-Q-Q)
- Four of a Kind (Four cards having the same value, e.g. K-K-K-K-7)
- Straight Flush (A sequence of same suit e.g.4,5,6,7,8 of hearts)
- Royal Flush (All high cards of the same suit in a sequence 10, J, Q, K, A)
Steps to play the game of Texas Hold’em Poker Online
- The game is played with a 52-card deck being distributed among 2 to 6 players.
- A dealer is defined which acts as a determining factor for card distribution. The dealer button keeps rotating clockwise with every hand.
- The player next to the dealer (in a clockwise manner)places the small blind (half of the minimum bet of the particular hand) and the player next to the small blind places the big blind. (minimum bet of the particular hand). Small and big blind are forced bets that are essential to every hand.
- Each player is given two individual hand cards which are placed face-down. This is known as pre-flop.
- After every player is dealt with two hole cards, the first betting round starts. The person left to the big blind takes the first action which can either be to fold(opt out of playing the current hand), call (make the same bet as the minimum bet of the hand), raise(putting in more money than the minimum bet of the hand).
- Rounds of betting will continue clockwise till all bets on the table are equal.
- Once, the bets of all players continuing are equal, 3 community cards are placed face-up on the table. These cards, as the name suggests, are common for all players. This is known as the flop. Betting round continues in the clockwise direction after the flop placement.
- Once all the bets on the table are equal, the fourth community card is opened face up. This is known as the Turn. This is again followed up by a round of betting.
- The 5 & final community card is placed face up on the tables. This is referred to as the River. This leads to the final round of betting.
As we have established that the game requires each player to create the best possible 5-card combination from the available 2 hole cards and 5 community cards. The possible combinations that can be made are
- 2 Hole cards with 3 Community cards
- 1 Hole card & with Community cards
- 0 Hole cards with 5 Community cards
Using any of the above combinations, the player who forms the best combination in accordance with the hand rankings, wins the hand.
Now, you are all set to dive right into the world of this real money poker game and reap handsome rewards.
Playing at India No.1 Poker App- Adda52 promises you an enthralling gaming experience that will keep you entertained while repealing huge cash rewards. And it doesn’t end here, relish an epic joining bonus when you sign up to play and start playing this real cash game instantly.
So, on your marks, signup and play now!