What is Online Carrom Game
Carrom is one of the oldest billiard-type pocket games in existence with historical significance, which originated in and is still popular in India. It traces its origin to pre-historic times when people played a variety of games with discs and flat bats. To play a Carrom game, two single players or four double players are needed. Unlike the pool, Carrom is not a sport of 'who hits the white ball closest to the hole'. You play Carrom at what is called an angle. The striker has to hit the Carrom disc against the ground, after which it slowly rolls or slides down toward a cushion. Carrom is a game of skill, and strategy and demands adroit finger movements and quick decision-making ability.
Equipment Required for the Carrom Board Game
Carrom is a highly entertaining game that everyone can play. For playing Carrom with friends, not much is required as the things listed below are enough for the players to start the game and decide who will come out as the winner.
- Carrom Board
- 1 queen piece
- 9 red pieces
- 9 black pieces
Setting up the Carrom Game
Carrom is a recreation game that uses skill to strike a Carrom set pieces scattered inside the pocket and pocket other pieces. However, before playing a game of Carrom, you need to set up the board properly.
- It is advised to place the board 60-70 centimeters above the ground as it will help the players to strike well.
- All the four corners of the board have a hole that is equipped with a net. Besides this, each player is given a rectangle on the board to make sure that the striker is shot from there only.
- The queen will be placed at the center of the board. After that, six pieces (3 black and 3 red) are arranged in the form of a circle around the queen. The remaining pieces are again arranged in a circle with respect to the inner circle.
Rules of the Carrom Game
The Carrom rules are simple and easy to understand which makes it a game widely played all over the world. The players have to sit on the opposite side of each other to start the game. The game will be started by tossing a coin to know who will be striking first.
- In the game, a player has to strike all the pieces of a particular color in the hole along with the queen to win the round. The first player to put a piece of a particular color has to pick all the pieces of that color.
For example, if a player has got the black piece in the hole first, then the player has to strike all the black pieces in the game.
- In the game, if a player has less than 24 points and the player strikes a queen, then the queen will be of 5 points. However, if a player has more than 24 points, then the value of the queen will be null and it won't be counted.
- If a player strikes the piece then the player will get another chance in succession. This will continue until the player fails to get a piece in the hole.
- To pick up a queen, the player has to make sure that he has a piece of a particular color. It will be called a cover. However, if a player gets a queen without a cover, then the queen will be placed in the middle of the board.
For example, if a player has the black pieces covered, he can go for the queen.
- For the points, the pieces left in the middle of a player after one player gets all the pieces will be counted for that round.
For example, if player 1 gets all the black pieces and player 2 has 5 red pieces on the board, then the player 1's score will be 5. However, if the queen is also covered within the round and the score of player 1 is less than 24, then 5 extra points will be added to player 1's score and the total score will be 10.
- There can be 'n' number of rounds to decide who will be the winner. The first player to reach 29 Carrom points will be declared as the winner.
In the Carrom rules, a penalty is also there if a player strikes the wrong piece or if something else happens in the game. Some of these penalty rules include :
- A player will be fouled if the player strikes the striker into the hole instead of the piece. In this, the player has to keep a piece of the color in the middle of the board.
- Another foul will be when a player pockets a piece of another player. In it, the player has to keep a piece in the middle of the board. Moreover, if the queen was also covered by the player, then the queen has to be kept in the middle too.
- The third foul is when a player gets the final piece without pocketing the queen first. In this, the piece that has been pocketed along with a penalty piece will be kept in the middle of the board.
- If the striker touches the outer line from the rectangular box, then a penalty will be awarded to the player and a piece of the color will be kept in the middle of the board.
- The last type of foul is if a player touches a piece besides the striker.
How Poker is as Good Skill-Based Game as Carrom
Carrom is a game of skill that requires different striking methods to make sure that the game runs your way. Conventionally, the striker is held in the right hand and flicked with the fingers of the left hand. However, you can use a scissors grip in which the striker is held between your thumb and index finger. Whichever grip you use, make sure your thumb rests along the edge of the striker. This will prevent you from accidentally knocking off pieces that are already in place.
Just like Carrom, Poker can be a learned skill. It is entirely a mind game, where you have to read your opponent's thoughts and anticipate their moves. You should also take advantage of the strength of your cards, bluff appropriately and also read the bluffs of others. All this has to be done while keeping calm, even when others around you aren't. Ultimately, Poker is a game where no one knows what the next person may think or do. Poker takes you on a roller-coaster ride that's thrilling and challenging at the same time. Hence, it's necessary to learn how to play the game, practice it continuously and keep practicing your skills.
In both the games, the player with better skill will win most of the time. There are high probabilities that good players will sustain a long-term good results while weaker players tend to fail to win even in games they have started well. In Carrom, the player who knows how to use the inch of the striker well will never fail to amaze the opponent. And in Poker, the player who knows how to deal with any pack of cards will always be onathe top of the game.
Both games are available online around the clock. Whenever you want, you can join the tables through your smartphone, laptop, or PC to play with your friends or other players from all over the country.
Carrom Board Game Related FAQs
How do you play the Carrom game?
To play Carrom game, there should be two players or four players organized in two teams. The players need to fulfill the basic requirement of a Carrom board, 9 red and black pieces each, one red queen piece and strikers to start the game of Carrom with friends. The rules are :
- A Carrom board with four holes on each side of the board has to be set up.
- The queen will be placed in between along with one round of 6 pieces and one round of 12 pieces around it.
- Each player has to put up all the 9 pieces of a particular color along with a queen to get the points.
- The striker will be used to strike the pieces for putting them into the holes.
- The player that reaches the 29 points first in all the rounds combined will be declared as the winner.
Which country made the Carrom game?
The Carrom board game was made by India in the 18th century. The Indian Maharajas used to play it during that time and thus it became popular in the other countries as well.
Is Carrom a traditional game of India?
Carrom has been a traditional game of India as it was invented by the Maharajas of India in the 18th century and since then it has been played by the people from all over the world. Carrom is Indian billiards' equivalent to Snooker in that it's a cue sport and uses pieces of similar size.
What is in the Carrom powder?
In the Carrom powder, Boric acid is found which is made up od Boron, Hydrogen and Oxygen. The chemical composition of the compound is H3BO3.
What are the fouls in Carrom?
There are mainly four types of fouls that reduce Carrom points in the game. These fouls are
- In the game, if a player gets the striker into the hole instead of the pieces available, then the player has to put up a piece of the particular color in the middle of the board.
- If a player strikes the piece of the opposite player and the piece is pocketed then the player has to put up a piece of the color in the middle of the board as a foul.
- Another type of foul is when the player pockets the last piece available without pocketing the queen and thus it results in no cover for the queen. In this situation, the player has to put up two pieces in the middle of the board.
- This foul occurs if a player touches any piece besides the striker available.
- The another type of foul is when a player crosses the given rectangle and touches the outer line which results in the punishment of keeping a particular color piece in the middle.
What are the rules of Carrom in India?
The players have to keep Carrom rules in mind before playing the game. These rules are :
- On the board, the players will be seated exactly opposite to each other.
- Each player will be given a striker to strike within the rectangular box available.
- The player that wins the toss will start first and then other players will get their turns.
- A player who gets a piece of one color will have to pocket all the pieces of that color along with the queen to get the required points.
- However, if a player violates any rule then a penalty will be awarded to the player.
- The first player to reach 29 points in all the sets will be taken as the winner of the game.
How many points are there in Carrom?
Each Carrom game will be of 29 points. The player or team that reaches the 29 points first will be declared as the winner. In the game, there are 9 pieces of black, 9 pieces of red and one queen.
- A player will be awarded a point when a player has all the pieces of a particular color and the other player has 'n' number of pieces available on the board.
- Moreover, if a player has less than 24 points and the player gets the queen, then the 5 points of the queen will be added. But if the player has more than 24 points, then the points of the queen won't be counted.
Is thumb allowed in Carrom?
Yes, the thumb is allowed in the Carrom. Thumbing is a relatively recent style of shot that has only been fully embraced and developed by the Carrom players.
Note – Adda52 does not host any Carrom game in any format.
Read More About Other Online Games
- Learn Poker
- Poker Tips and Strategy
- Types of Poker
- Card Games
- Money Games