Poker equity

Play Now

TIPS AND STRATEGIES

Poker Equity

Poker Equity is a mathematical aspect to the poker game that clearly explains why you should bet or check in certain situations during a poker game.

What is equity in Poker?

Your equity is basically the amount of the pot that ‘belongs’ to you based on the odds you have to win at a particular point of time in the hand expressed either as a percentage (probability of winning) or expected value (amount of pot * probability of winning). Negative equity, or loss in equity, occurs when contributing to a pot with a probability of winning less than 1 / (number of opponents matching the contribution+1).So if there is 50% chance that you are going to win, you have 50% equity in the hand. It's as simple as that. Learning about poker equity is important because you want to get your money in when you are ahead (have equity) and minimize how much you invest when you are behind (little or no equity). This is also known as getting value for your hand. Now, let’s take an example.

Say, Player 1 holds Jd & 8 s. Player 2 holds Kh & 7s. After the flop, the board is 5h, 6h & 7d. If both hands are played to a showdown, Player 1 has a 45% chance to win, Player 2 has a 53% chance to win and there is a 2% chance to split the pot. The pot currently has 51. Player 1 goes all-in for 45 reasoning Player 2 has to call to stay in the game. Player 1's implied pot odds for the all-in bet are 32%. Player 2's simple pot odds for the call are also 32%. Since both have a probability of winning greater than 32%, both plays (the raise and the call) have a positive expectation. However, since Player 2 has more equity in the pot than Player 1 (53% vs. 45%), Player 1 would have been better off playing the pot as cheaply as possible. When Player 1 went all-in, he gave up the difference in equity on the money she contributed to the pot.

In short, having an understanding of poker equity is important because if you can identify situations where you are ahead, behind or somewhere in the middle, then you can make your betting decisions accordingly. This is simply known as maximizing your wins while minimizing your losses.

HELP

Poker Dictionary

The poker dictionary is your reference for poker jargon and the language of poker.

Testimonials From Our Players

poker player testimonial

I am a late entrant into poker world and at 43 years of age, double the age of a lot of players on the tourney circuit. I am a Private Equity Fund Manager and poker is a passion for me!! I have now been playing for over 4 years now - both cash and tournament games. My background in investing made me adapt to the game fast. The approach of studying the game through books, courses (Nick Petrangelo, raiseyouredge) online videos and bit of coaching from Prabhat Mukherjea.. all played a part in preparing me for this. This win is a testimony that poker is not gambling and hard work pays off.

I am extremely happy at winning the ATOC ME. it is apt that my first big tournament win comes on adda52 where I started my poker journey about 4 years back.

piyush goenka

poker player testimonial

Adda52 is a very good platform to play tourney high value tourneys and best RNG is here make life Profitable means best hand always best hand here no bad beats.

Umesh Singh

poker player testimonial

Amazing adda52 app with genuinity. As you win you can transfer amount instantly and will be credited to your account within 24hrs. No cheating. I recommended this app to my friends also and they play game on adda52 whenever they get free time.

george varghese

poker player testimonial

I never thought poker as gambling it’s a skilled game and you need to practice it a lot before you call yourself a expert. Thanks to Adda52-Poker for creating such platform grey stuff.

raghav bhatia

poker player testimonial

This is one of the best sites i have played on love the interface and software very smooth with fast withdrawals hands down to it.

Brandin Francis

Customer Care
1800 572 0611
Monday - Sunday
12 PM to 10 PM